Cigarettes in Ivory Coast, 2019 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in Ivory Coast’s tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
The Ivory Coast has traditionally been one of the most promising markets for cigarette manufacturers and importers. A relatively stable economy, rising income levels, and steady population growth have all helped to boost volumes. However, with events such as the devaluation of the CFA Franc in 1994 and the aftermath of the military coup in December 1999, the market began to show a degree of volatility, culminating in a dramatic collapse in sales in 2003 and 2004 as a result of internal civil disruption. Only since signing a peace agreement in April 2005 have hostilities ceased, and some degree of normality has now returned. Sales expanded strongly between 2010 and 2014, following the installation of new equipment by SITAB, and were estimated at 4,438 million pieces in 2014. Only because of the impact of rising prices brought about by a change in tax rates has the market suffered a correction. Volumes dropped 9% in 2015 to 4,040 million pieces with a further fall of 1.1% in 2016 to 3,995 million pieces. Volumes are estimated to have fallen further to 3,850 million pieces in 2018.
- Contraband sales, as in many other African nations, are an important feature of the local cigarette market and increased in late 2002 as hostilities intensified.
- The local market is a mix of dark tobacco cigarettes and English-style, flue-cured Virginia blend cigarettes, but with American blend cigarettes also featuring and gaining share.
- As in many of the French-speaking markets of Africa, the Ivory Coast market has, for many years, been dominated by Coralma International, a subsidiary of Imperial Tobacco.
- Import duties stand at 20% of the fob value as of March 2019, although imports from UEMOA and ECOWAS may be eligible for preferential treatment.
Reasons To Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market. Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers. Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.