Unmanned aerial vehicles - UAVs or, more commonly, drones - have been a regular feature in military applications, especially surveillance, for some time. However, over the past three to four years, the rapid proliferation of consumer electronics, the emergence of cloud technologies, the declining cost of server and bandwidth usage, the improving price-to-performance ratio of hardware components, and a dramatic rise in demand for a “bird’s-eye” view of the earth have steadily opened up the market for the civilian use of drones both as recreational devices, and in commercial applications.
Drone technology has demonstrated a varied range of mining applications from exploration, surveying and mapping to maintaining safety and enhancing security. The popularity of UAVs across the mining industry has grown immensely in recent years, with GlobalData’s survey of more than 200 mine sites showing substantial penetration of drones across regions such as Australasia and Africa. Companies adopting the technology include Rio Tinto, BHP, Anglo American, South32, Ferrexpo. Exxaro Resources, Newmont, and Freeport-McMoRan, amongst others.
The report "Drones in Metals & Mining - Thematic Research", analyses how drones technology is affecting the global metals & mining industry now, in addition to key trends shaping across the industry.
Companies mentioned: Ferrexpo, Exxaro Resources, RTB Bor, Newmont Mining, BHP, South32, Anglo American, Rio Tinto, Vale, Freeport-McMoRan
- This report provides how drones technology works.
- It analyzes its impact on mining industry.
- It provides specific explanations of how drones could change the way mining companies operate.
- It offers an analysis of how regulators are likely to respond to the rise of drones.
Reasons To Buy
- Build an understanding of drones technology and its applications in metals & mining industry.
- Find out how mining companies are utilizing drones to obtain notable results.
- identify drone companies, their models, and their mining client portfolio.
- Key recommendations for mining companies and drone service providers.
- It identifies key trends in this technology theme.
- The report analyses the drone value chain by use case.
- The report also offers a technology briefing, highlighting how drone technology has developed and how it works.