Connoisseurship is a powerful tool for attracting consumers and building brand loyalty. The trend is associated with the Premiumization & Indulgence and Added Functionality trends. Connoisseurship is one of the fundamental drivers in FMCG consumption at present, and as such efforts to optimize products represent a powerful opportunity to attract new customers.
Connoisseurship deals with individuals who seek the best possible quality to fulfill personal and/or social needs. Within the FMCG context, connoisseurship describes the ability to appreciate and judge quality, and select the best products.
Connoisseurs pride themselves on their knowledge of specific products and services, as well as their personal ability to select the highest-quality experiences. These individuals will not settle for anything less than what they perceive to be the best. As consumers’ expectations rise in general, more of them consider themselves to be connoisseurs or assume similar traits.
The report "TrendSights Analysis 2019: Connoisseurship", examines what Connoisseurship means as a consumer trends and why it is important, who are likely to be the target audience, how FMCG brands can best capitalize on the trend, and what will be the future outlook for the trend.
- In food and drink, "quality" often refers to pleasantness in taste and aroma, which allows self-indulgence.
- In non-food and drink, getting the best quality guarantees a good user experience and high customer satisfaction.
- Knowing how to select the best quality enables consumers to fit into a specific social group (e.g. upper class), or improve their social status by presenting themselves as specialists in the areas they are passionate about.
Reasons To Buy
- Understand the role of a desire for the highest quality and a developing sense of expertise in shaping consumers’ attitudes and behaviors.
- Compare the relevance of the Connoisseurship trend in each industry across the FMCG space, and learn what the key opportunities are.