Retail is going through unprecedented changes. The old retail model is no longer valid and technology has handed power to the consumer, providing them with unlimited choice and access. With customers increasingly seeking convenience and faster delivery times, e-commerce retailers across the globe are adopting new technologies and processes to deliver products faster.
While growth in the more mature online regions of the Americas and Europe is beginning to slow, there is still strong growth in the emerging markets, and across all regions online growth will continue to outperform physical retail. Sales are projected to register a CAGR of 15.6% over the forecast period (2017-2022) to reach US$2,436 billion by 2022. Internet penetration, but more importantly the proliferation of smartphones and mobile devices, is driving growth.
Americas leads globally with online sales, particularly the US. As the home of global technology and big online retailers such as Amazon, online retail was adopted fast, and the US powered ahead, but as consumers and retailers globally engage with online shopping it is the APAC region which will dominate in 2022.
Populous emerging countries such as India, China and Indonesia will show the strongest online growth over the next five years, particularly India with its huge young, tech-savvy population. This potential is why both Amazon and Walmart were keen to buy local Indian online player Flipkart - to gain a strong foothold in this fast developing market.
Amazon dominates globally with an 8.7% share of the online market, but is up against fierce competition from China in the form of JD.com and Alibaba who are both liaising with western retailers and looking beyond the APAC region for opportunities.
"Global Online Retailing, 2017-2022", report provides a detailed analysis of both the historic and forecast market data of global retail sales of different product segments in online channel. In addition, it provides an overview of changing shopping trends, the influence of various economic variables on the global online retail industry, technology trends and the competitive landscape across product segments.
The report also details major online retailers in each category group globally with their product proposition analysis and market positioning in 2017 along with recent key developments. In-depth analysis of the latest trends in online shopping, covering the factors driving online shopping, consumer insights, market dynamics globally (covering 26 product categories).
The report summarises the common issues facing retailers globally as they face a retail landscape that is changing constantly, and rapidly, and becoming completely unrecognisable from the traditional model that evolved over centuries. Some of the key trends discussed in the report -
- Rapid proliferation of smart devices is propelling the growth of e-commerce.
- Artificial intelligence and radio-frequency identification aid supply chain.
- Global online sales to continue to drive retail growth globally.
- APAC set to overtake the Americas as the largest online market.
- China offers much more growth potential.
- Electricals is the largest online category with the highest penetration.
- Food and grocery set to grow faster than any other sector.
- Amazon dominates in 2017 but faces more competition globally.
- Innovative and smart payment options to drive sales.
- Duty free retailers are embracing online.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain comprehensive knowledge on 26 product categories in Global online retail market and develop a competitive advantage around consumer behavior trends from the start of your supply chain
- Explore novel opportunities that will allow you to align your product offerings and strategies to meet demand by analyzing the vital economic and population trends, and key consumer and technology trends influencing the online retail market
- Investigate current and forecast online trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit
- Analyze the recommended actions to align your marketing strategies with the crucial online trends influencing consumer behavior
- Understand the fastest-growing categories in the market with insights on the performance of individual product categories online from 2012, with forecasts until 2022.