The global hypertrophic & keloid scar treatment market size is expected to reach USD 10.2 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is projected to record a CAGR of 9.9% during the forecast period. Rise in awareness about esthetic appeal has led to the market growth. According to Plastic Surgery Statistics Report, 182,321 reconstructive procedures for scar revision were performed in 2017. Hence, the demand for reconstructive procedures also plays an important role in boosting the market growth.
Rise in burn injury cases has also led to increased demand for hypertrophic and keloid scar treatments. Plastic surgeries or resurfacing laser therapies are commonly performed to remove these marks. Hypertrophic burn marks can affect a victim’s appearance and are associated with other conditions, such as pruritis and contractures.
The introduction of technologically advanced products, such as laser therapies, will also support market growth. These products help reduce scars caused due to burns, trauma injuries, and surgery. For instance, Non-ablative laser therapy destroys scar tissues through vascularization with the help of a pulsed dye laser. However, exorbitant prices of laser products are anticipated to restrain the market growth.
Further Key findings from the study suggest:
- The treatment of keloid scars is more difficult and has been undertaken by an increasing number of dermatologists, thus contributing to high revenue generation in 2017
- In 2017, topical products led the market owing to easy availability and increased awareness about their usage
- Laser instruments are expected to witness lucrative growth owing to the availability of technologically advanced products that facilitate fast and painless scar removal therapies
- The hospital segment held the largest market share in 2017 due to availability of well-established infrastructure and a wide range of scar removal treatment options
- Retail pharmacies/e-commerce is expected to witness significant growth in future owing to greater consumer convenience and availability of discounted Over-the-Counter (OTC) products
- North America was the dominant regional market in 2017 while APAC is projected to register the highest CAGR over the forecast period
- Some of the key companies in the global hypertrophic & keloid scar treatment market are Lumenis Ltd.; Smith & Nephew PLC; Cynosure, Inc.; Enaltus, LLC; M?lnlycke Health Care AB; Suneva Medical, Inc.; and Sonoma Pharmaceuticals, Inc.