Telecom operators are looking to break out of the rut of simply providing connectivity, but face fierce opposition in the form of technology interlopers.
Laura Petrone, Senior Analyst, comments: “Telecom operators are increasingly seeking to move beyond the dumb pipe of simple connectivity and diversify in the cloud, AI and SDN. This trajectory will bring them into direct competition with technology interlopers that are also actively targeting segments that telecoms operators might once have seen as their own.”
Telecoms operators should also watch out for China’s growing influence over technology standards as part of the country’s ambition to dominate next generation technologies.
Petrone concludes: “China’s commitment to technology leadership is not just a matter of record; it is an intrinsic part of the country’s strategic plan. We expect to see China trying to exert greater influence over the rules for next generation telecom standards such as 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT), in much the same way as Europe dominated 2G and the US 3G and 4G.”
In the latest thematic research report, "Telecom Operator Scorecard - Thematic Research", should be note that domains like the cloud, artificial intelligence (AI) and software defined networks (SDN), operators globally need to establish their relevance and build a convincing proposition.
This report sets out the big themes impacting telecom operators globally, predicts how they will evolve over the next 12 months and identifies the leading and lagging companies in a world filled with disruptive threats.
- This report is a sector scorecard, which identifies those companies most likely to succeed in a world filled with disruptive threats. Inside, we predict how each theme will evolve and who the leading and lagging companies are.
- It includes a theme map that shows the 60 biggest themes driving growth in the tech, media and telecom sectors.
- It explains how some of the largest listed players in the sector have performed over the last four years.
- It looks at major technology, macro-economic, and regulatory themes impacting telecoms operators.
Reasons To Buy
- Companies who invest in the right themes become success stories; those who miss the big themes end up as failures.
- Corporate executives and investors who want to outperform their competitors need to understand all the themes that impact their sector.
- However, many of these themes are, by definition, outside of the core competencies of company boardrooms because they typically originate from external industries.
- Viewing the world’s data by themes makes it easier to make important decisions.
- The Telecom Operator Scorecard provides a top-down, comprehensive outlook for the key players in the telecom industry over the next two years, based on the key themes set to transform their market.