The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
“The protective cultures market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.9%; the key drivers include growth in the edible oils industry, increase in demand for higher nutritional value in edible oils, and the technological developments to overcome process limitations.”
The protective cultures market is estimated at USD 101 million in 2018 and projected to grow at a CAGR of 23.6%, to reach USD 292 million by 2023. The growth of the protective cultures market is driven by the rising demand for dairy and clean label products. The key driver for market growth is the increasing demand for natural preservative-free products and clean label products. Microbial Food Cultures (MFC) are preparations or formulations consisting of concentrates of one or more microbial species and/or strains including unavoidable media components carried over from the fermentation and components, which are necessary for their survival, storage, standardization, and to facilitate their application in the food production process.
“Dairy & dairy products segment led the market with the largest share in 2017.”
On the basis of application, protective cultures are predominantly used in the dairy & dairy products segment. Companies have a significant presence in the dairy & dairy products segment with a wide array of protective cultures that cover all aspects of the dairy market. The dairy & dairy products segment constitutes cheese, fermented milk products, butter and spread. The use of protective cultures in dairy primarily arises out of its compatibility to fermented products, in which it is commonly used. The first generation of protective cultures has had a profound impact on the dairy products industry by offering a multitude of solutions to different types of products used in the market.
“Freeze-dried protective cultures accounted for a larger share in 2017.”
Based on product form, the freeze-dried segment is estimated to account for a larger share in 2018. Protective cultures are highly unstable during storage and need to be preserved well to extend their shelf-life. Freeze-dried cultures, also known as lyophilized cultures, are used to remove water for preserving perishable products. This involves freezing the culture first and then drying it (via sublimation) under vacuum at low temperatures. Freeze-dried cultures remain increasingly preferred due to long-term storage and handling features. Freeze-drying conditions differ for different strains and species, and hence, the cultures will have to undergo multiple tests to determine their compatibility and target function before deployment.
“Multi-strain mixed to be the fastest-growing refining method of protective cultures.”
Based on composition, the multi-strain mixed segment is projected to be the fastest-growing during the forecast period. The multi-strain mixed protective cultures consist of more than two microbial strains from different species. All the species used in multi-strain mixed cultures have different functions and may target different microorganisms. These cultures are most commonly used because of the benefits they offer over single and multi-strain cultures. Every individual strain in these cultures offers different functions and inhibits the growth of either a particular microorganism or different microorganisms.
“High growth is projected in the Asia Pacific protective cultures market.”
The Asia Pacific market is projected to be the fastest-growing market for the period considered for this study due to the large dairy industry, along with the growing industrial base, leading to increased demand for protective cultures in the region. In addition, the market is driven by the growing demand for clean label products in developing countries such as India, China, and Japan.
Break-up of Primaries:
- By Company Type: Tier 1 - 55 %, Tier 2 - 25%, and Tier 3 - 20%
- By Designation: D Level - 45%, C Level - 30%, and Others* - 25%
- By Region: Europe - 46%, North America - 20%, , Asia Pacific - 16%, South America - 10%, and RoW - 8%
*Others include sales managers, marketing managers, and product managers.
Leading players profiled in this report:
- CHR Hansen
- Sacco S.R.L
- CSK Food Enrichment B.V.
- THT S.A.
- Dalton Biotechnologies
- Biochem S.R.L
- Meat Cracks Technology GmbH
- Royal DSM N.V.
- Aristomenis D. Phikas & Co SA.
- Soyuzsnab Group of Companies
- The report segments the protective cultures on the basis of component, technology, edible oil, refining method, operation, and region. In terms of insights, this report has focused on various levels of analyses competitive landscape, end-use analysis, and company profiles, which together comprise and discuss views on the emerging & high-growth segments of the global protective cultures, high-growth regions, countries, government initiatives, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges.
Reasons To buy this report:
- To get a comprehensive overview of the protective cultures
- To gain wide-ranging information about the top players in this industry, their product portfolios, and key strategies adopted by them
- To gain insights about the major countries/regions in which the protective cultures market is flourishing