The global market for Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM) is projected to reach US$4 billion by 2024, driven by the acute need for precision dimensional measurement and validation of geometric accuracy in manufacturing automotive, aerospace, military and other industrial equipment and components. By helping measure physical geometrical characteristics of a product, CMM helps manufacturers achieve design consistency and ensure better quality of manufactured goods. Growing adoption of CMMs across all stages of production including design, testing, development, reverse engineering, and profiling will benefit growth in the market. The automobile industry is forecast to emerge as a major end-user of CMM against the backdrop of growing focus on vehicle performance. Implementation of coordinate metrology helps identify dimensional, form & location deviations of components and sub-assemblies during manufacturing and thereby ensures greater mechanical quality and mechatronic performance. Few of the factors driving adoption in this space include shorter design-to-production time and the ensuing reliance on industrial metrology and measurement tools as key enablers of productivity; migration from off-line quality inspection to in-line measurement and inspection; importance of accurately assessing alignment and bonding efficiency of mating parts in engine and powertrain design; and importance of component surface geometry in influencing part and assembly performance where even millimeter deviations can raise the risk of part failure and reduce performance. Other major factors influencing growth in the market include growing production agility needs and a parallel increase in the popularity of portable coordinate measuring machine (PCMM); developments in optical coordinate measuring machines and articulated arm machines; increased investments in R&D and launch of innovative sensors and software for more accurate and sensitive measurements; increased use of CMMs in the manufacture of precision medical devices and in quality assurance of orthopedic implants such as hip joint implants and knee joint and disc prosthetics. Asia-Pacific represents the largest and the fastest growing market worldwide with a CAGR of 8.8% over the analysis period. The growth in the region is supported by factors such as promising developments in advanced manufacturing technologies, and growing national level interest in the same among export-oriented industrializing Asian countries such as China and South Korea.
Download Free Sample Pages of this report
Company and Industry News & Stories
- Hexagon Acquires External-Array Software in a Move to Provide User-Friendly & High Functionality Metrology Software for CMM Manufacturers
- Hexagon to Acquire NEXTSENSE, a Leading Innovator in Non-Contact Profile Measurement & Surface Inspection
- TARUS Partners with HAIMER in a Move to Offer the Best Products Available to Add Value to the TARUS Machines
- Stäubli Robotics Partners with Metrologic Group to Create the First Highly Accurate and Efficient Coordinate Measuring Robot
- ASF Metrology to Acquire Nikon Metrology’s CMM Business in a Move to Focus on Non-Contract Metrology
Outlook in Key Market Segments
- Through 2024, Bridge-Type Machine will remain the largest market, followed by Articulated-Arm Machine.
- Articulated-Arm Machine is projected to witness the fastest growth driven by increasing demand for portable articulated arms, design consistency and better quality control.
Product Definition & Scope
- Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) is a mechanical system that measures physical geometrical features of an object. CMMs have three components - machine, computing or control system, and measuring probe. CMMs are primarily designed to move measuring probe, so as to determine the point coordinates on the surface of a workpiece. The measuring machine can either be controlled manually, or by a Computer Numerical Control (CNC), or through personal computers. While in manual controlled CMMs, machine positioning is controlled by an operator, in CNC and PC controlled CMMs, machine positioning is controlled by a computer.
Timeline for Analysis
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia, and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India, South Korea, Taiwan, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Middle East & Africa, and Latin America (Brazil and Rest of Latin America)
Market Segmentation & Classification
- Product Types:
- Articulated-Arm Machine, Bridge-Type Machine, Gantry-Type Machine, and Horizontal-Arm Machine
- Carl Zeiss Industrial Metrology LLC
- Dukin Co., Ltd.
- Hexagon AB
- Mitutoyo Corporation
- Renishaw plc.
- Sipcon Instrument Industries
- WENZEL Group
How Can You Benefit?
This research project broadly covers analysis of all market trends, drivers, challenges and other macro market scenarios you need to know to improve your strategic planning and remain informed and competitive. The study also provides reliable ready facts and exclusive statistical data insights in addition to expert and highly accurate market size forecasts and projections to help you identify new markets and opportunities for revenue growth and sustainability. The extensive reportage of industry, company and product news and stories together with coverage of all major and niche players provided in the report helps you build a 360 degree perspective on your markets and gain unsurpassed insights needed to devise plans and strategies to maximize business growth.