The global market for Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene (SBS) Block Copolymer is projected to reach 2.4 million tons worth US$8.1 billion by 2024, driven by established applications in adhesives, sealants, coatings, asphalt modification, polymer modification, footwear, cables, wires, electric appliances and absorbent hygiene products. Key properties that make SBS block copolymer valuable in the aforementioned applications include high mechanical strength, abrasion resistance and flexibility that allows easy molding and extrusion by conventional thermoplastic processing equipment. The dual properties of plastic and rubber exhibited by SBS is largely due to the combination of thermoplastic resin and butadiene rubber. The market will benefit from the projected growth of asphalt consumption in paving and roofing amid growing emphasis on road infrastructure development and the ensuing rising demand for quality bitumen modifiers that improve longevity of asphalt road by preventing formation of cracks due to thermal shocks and potholes due to excessive rains.
Other major factors spurring growth in the market include growing consumer demand for high performance apparel and the resulting emphasis placed on enhancing functional attributes of footwear by including:
- SBS in footwear production;
- growing market for styrenic polymers in medical applications supported by the ongoing efforts to replace polyvinyl chloride (PVC) with styrenic polymers in a bid to comply with toxicity regulations;
- projected growth in global tire production and established use of SBS in tire tread;
- growing substitution of traditional vulcanized rubber with SBS due to its high elasticity and viscosity properties;
- and widening role of polymer modification in plastics compounding as a processing aid and compatibilizer to improve toughness, uniformity and processability.
Download Free Sample Pages of this report
Asia-Pacific represents the largest and the fastest growing market worldwide with a CAGR of 7% over the analysis period led by positive macro-economic scenario, expanding industrial, business and commercial markets, rising demand for consumer appliances, increased emphasis on quality ingredients for asphalt modification and plastics compounding.
Company and Industry News & Stories
- KKR Consortium Plans to Acquire LCY Chemical Corp., a Global Leader in the Specialty Chemical Industry
- INEOS Styrolution Plans to Expand Styrenic Polymers Compounding Capacity with Additional 34,000 Metric Tonnes/Annum at Moxi Plant in India
- INEOS Styrolution Acquires K-Resin® SBC Business in a Move to include K-Resin, Styrolux® and Styroflex® Brands in its Portfolio
Outlook in Key Market Segments
- Through 2024, Asphalt Modification will remain the largest end-use market for SBS block copolymer, followed by Polymer Modification.
- Polymer Modification is projected to witness the fastest growth driven by extensive applications in vehicle steering wheels/bumpers, sealing parts and electric components.
Product Definition & Scope
- Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene block copolymer (SBS) is a type of styrene block copolymer (SBC). SBS copolymers belong to the class of thermoplastic elastomers and are composed of styrene and butadiene linked homopolymer blocks. SBS offers excellent surface friction coefficient, little permanent deformation, great tensile strength, excellent low-temperature behavior, great workability and good electric property.
Timeline for Analysis
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil and Rest of Latin America), and Rest of World
Market Segmentation & Classification
- End-Use Markets:
- Adhesives, Sealants & Coatings, Asphalt Modification, Polymer Modification, and Others
- Asahi Kasei Corp.
- Chi Mei Corp.
- China National Petroleum Corp.
- Dynasol Elastomers
- Firestone Polymers LLC
- INEOS Styrolution Group GmbH
- Kraton Corp.
- RTP Company
- Sinopec Corp.
How Can You Benefit?
This research project broadly covers analysis of all market trends, drivers, challenges and other macro market scenarios you need to know to improve your strategic planning and remain informed and competitive. The study also provides reliable ready facts and exclusive statistical data insights in addition to expert and highly accurate market size forecasts and projections to help you identify new markets and opportunities for revenue growth and sustainability. The extensive reportage of industry, company and product news and stories together with coverage of all major and niche players provided in the report helps you build a 360 degree perspective on your markets and gain unsurpassed insights needed to devise plans and strategies to maximize business growth.