Content Delivery Network (CDN)
The global market for Content Delivery Network (CDN) is projected to reach US$34 billion by 2024, driven by the paramount importance of ultrafast, low-latency, seamless and secure delivery of content across the internet. The unrelenting rise in internet data traffic is magnifying the importance of CDNs in moving data around the World Wide Web. Few of the other major trends in the market influencing growth include
- rise of over the top (OTT) content, on-demand video/music streaming and live event streaming and the resulting capability to deliver synchronized content to any device, anywhere;
- rise of software as a service (SaaS) under the aegis of cloud computing and the resulting need for improving content delivery and quality of service (QoS);
- growing popularity of multi-CDN strategy among large media companies;
- rise of edge security CDN, also known as hyper-local CDNs supplemented with additional features and functions such as web application firewalls (WAFs), distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) protection, and bot mitigation;
- growing interest in unified architecture and the resulting interest in integrating WAN into a cloud-based CDN infrastructure;
- growing importance of online presence in the digital era, growing number of websites on the internet and the resulting focus on website performance;
- saturating smartphone, mobile internet penetration rates, the ensuing “Appification of Everything” and the resulting explosion in the value of mobile CDNs.
In the entertainment space, the massive opportunity in digital content and services is throwing the focus on CDNs to overcome latency issues and enable successful content monetization. A key noteworthy trend in the market is the disruptive rise of artificial intelligence (AI) to optimize CDN security, caching and performance. AI has the potential to vastly improve the caching platforms, replace caching engineers and automate the caching process in CDN. AI also has the potential for Protocol Optimizations including TCP/IP and UDP optimizations that are vital for CDNs. The United States represents the largest market worldwide, being the busiest internet hub with a large number of web servers. Asia-Pacific ranks as the fastest growing market with a CAGR of 42% over the analysis period led by factors such as rapidly developing internet infrastructure; high cloud readiness index of developing Asian economies; growing popularity of digital forms of entertainment among the growing base of affluent middle class population; and growing internet access through mobile devices and the resulting need for accelerating content delivery in mobile networks.
Company and Industry News & Stories
- Cisco Partners with Reliance Jio to Create the ‘All-IP Network’ for Improving Mobile Streaming Experience for Jio Users
- Verizon Expands Edgecast CDN to Meet Increasing Demand for High Quality Experiences in Gaming, Application Acceleration, E-commerce, Media & Entertainment and Other Markets
- Vecima Acquires Concurrent’s Content Delivery and Storage Business in a Transaction Valued at US$29 million
- CenturyLink Acquires Level 3 Communications, in a Move to Create a Leading Global Communications Company
- Concurrent Partners with Rincon for Content Delivery and Storage Solutions in a Move to Reach Over 1,000 Telecommunication Carriers & Large Enterprise Customers
Outlook in Key Market Segments
- Through 2024, Caching & Streaming CDNs will remain the largest market, followed by Edge Security CDNs
- WAN Access over CDN is projected to witness the fastest growth driven by the technology’s ability to replace the current gold standard for high-quality managed wide area networks, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS).
Product Definition & Scope
- A content delivery network (CDN) is defined as a distribution infrastructure comprising geographically distributed caching servers in the cloud that cache content at the network edge for faster delivery of content and improved website performance. CDNs help move all kinds of content on the internet ranging from text, graphics, scripts, media files, software (SaaS), documents, e-commerce portals, live streaming media, on-demand streaming media, among others.
Timeline for Analysis
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- US, Canada, Japan Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico and Rest of Latin America), and Rest of World
Market Segmentation & Classification
- Caching and Streaming CDN, Edge Security CDN, and WAN Access over CDN
- Akamai Technologies, Inc.
- Amazon Web Services Inc.
- Deutsche Telekom A.G.
- Google Inc.
- Limelight Networks, Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation
- Verizon Digital Media Services
How Can You Benefit?
This research project broadly covers analysis of all market trends, drivers, challenges and other macro market scenarios you need to know to improve your strategic planning and remain informed and competitive. The study also provides reliable ready facts and exclusive statistical data insights in addition to expert and highly accurate market size forecasts and projections to help you identify new markets and opportunities for revenue growth and sustainability. The extensive reportage of industry, company and product news and stories together with coverage of all major and niche players provided in the report helps you build a 360 degree perspective on your markets and gain unsurpassed insights needed to devise plans and strategies to maximize business growth.