Our Construction Intelligence Center (CIC) is currently tracking airport construction projects in Asia-Pacific with a total value of US$332.3 billion. Of this, US$133.7 billion is in the execution stage and US$98.7 billion is in the planning stage. China accounts for the highest value with US$84.2 billion, followed by the Philippines with projects valuing US$58.0 billion. Vietnam and Hong Kong follow with airport construction projects with a value of US$32.4 billion and US$21.1 billion respectively. The highest value airport project is the US$26.0 billion Global Gateway Integrated Multi-Modal Transport and Logistics Hub in the Philippines, which includes the construction of an airport to accommodate 90 million passengers per year, two terminals and a 3,800m runway with a width of 60m.
The Asia-Pacific region continues to set the pace for global economic expansion, with India and Vietnam among the fastest-growing. Rapid population growth in the region, coupled with economic growth, is creating an affluent middle-class market, which is increasing demand for air travel. Increases in household incomes in many countries - notably China and India - as well as the rapid growth of Asian low-cost carriers, are driving expansion in air travel. Leisure travel is the main driver for increased air travel, with Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka likely to exhibit high rates of growth. Reflecting this, the US aircraft manufacturer Boeing has estimated that over the next two decades, 38% of total new commercial aircraft orders will be taken by Asia-Pacific airlines. In 2017, Asia-Pacific accounted for the highest number of air passengers, with 3.01 billion. China is expected to overtake the US for passenger traffic by 2040, with an 18.8% share of the global market, compared to the US with 14.8%.
- The total pipeline of projects is valued at US$332.3 billion with US$32.7 billion being spent in 2019 and US$44.4 billion in 2020.
- The highest value of projects are at the execution stage with a total value of US$133.7 billion, followed by projects in planning with US$98.7 billion.
- Projects that are in the pre-planning stage total US$58.3 billion, while those in the pre-execution stage have a value of US$41.7 billion.
- Assuming all projects in the current pipeline proceed as planned, spending will reach US$44.4 billion in 2020 and fall to US$27.5 billion in 2023. The highest value of project completions will be in 2023, with a value of US$36.7 billion.
- The top contractors in the region are Sinohydro Corp Ltd and China State Construction Engineering Corporation Limited (CSCEC), both based in China. The top consulting engineers are Copenhagen Airports AS, based in Denmark, and Hamburg Port Consulting GmbH, based in Germany.
- The report provides analysis based on CIC projects showing total project values for Asia-Pacific and analysis by stage and funding for the top ten countries. The top 50 projects are listed for the region giving country, stage, value of airport construction. Ranked listings of the key operators for the sector are also provided showing the leading contractors, consulting engineers and project owners.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain insight into the development of the airport construction sector.
- Assess all major projects by value, start date, scope and stage of development for the region and top 10 countries to support business development activities.
- Plan campaigns by country based on specific project opportunities and align resources to the most attractive markets.