The global market for Bauxite and Alumina is projected to exceed 327.4 million metric tons by 2024, driven by robust production of aluminium metal. Aluminium is the most common and widespread type of metal used in a host of manufacturing applications such as in automobiles, aircraft, computers, electric power lines, furniture, cans, bottles, building products and consumer products i.e. refrigerators, kitchenware, among numerous others.
Few of the properties of aluminium responsible for its ubiquitous use in a wide range of products include corrosion resistance; extreme ductility and malleability; lightweight characteristics; excellent electrical and thermal conductivity; reflectivity; odorless; low material density; and 100% recyclability. Bauxite ore is the primary raw material used to produce alumina, which in turn is used to aluminium. On an average, to manufacture 1 metric ton of aluminum, it takes over 5 to 7 metric tons of bauxite to produce 2 to 3 metric tons of alumina.
The process consumes huge amounts of energy, water and generates bauxite residues and effluent discharge challenges. Given the high environmental load and carbon footprint of bauxite refining, there is growing focus shed on energy efficiency and eco-friendly production best practices. Bauxite Residue Management strategies are rapidly shifting away from conventional lagoons towards “dry stacking” which reduces the risk of leakages. The market will continue to face a rich mixture of both challenges and opportunities as new sources of bauxite create new operating and production challenges against the backdrop where global use of aluminum continues to grow. Largest producers of bauxite worldwide are Australia, China, Guinea, Brazil, India and Jamaica. Bauxite mining Investments are also beginning to look up supported by the recovering mining industry and improving commodity prices.
Company and Industry News & Stories
- ABX and Aziz Group Sign LOI in a Move to Develop and Supply Chemical Grade Bauxite for the Manufacture of PAC
- EGA and Vedanta Sign an Agreement to Supply Guinean Bauxite to the Latter
- Rio Tinto and Alcoa Establish JV to Commercialize Ecofriendly Aluminum Smelting Technology
- EGA on Track to Begin Alumina Production in 2019 in Abu Dhabi with an Investment of US$3.3 billion
- Nosrk Hydro to Acquire ISAL in a Transaction Valued at US$345 Million
- Metro Mining Acquires 100% Stake in Gulf Alumina in a Move to Become a Globally Significant Bauxite Mining Company
Outlook in Key Market Segments
- Metallurgical Bauxite ranks as the largest market supported by robust production for Aluminium metal in which over 90% of Bauxite ore is used as a raw material.
- Non-Metallurgical Bauxite is projected to witness the fastest growth driven by the growing applications in proppants, abrasives and refractories.
Product Definition & Scope
- Bauxite is a naturally occurring heterogeneous material mainly composed of aluminum hydroxide minerals and several other mixtures of titanium, aluminum silicate, silica, iron oxide, and other impurities in small proportions. Alumina is aluminum oxide extracted from bauxite in a chemical refining process. It is a major raw material in the electro-chemical process from which primary aluminum is produced. While much of the alumina is utilized in the production of primary aluminum, there has been an increased demand in the recent past for non-metallurgical grade alumina.
Timeline for Analysis
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
- US, Canada, Europe (France, Germany, Spain, Russia, and Rest of Europe), China, Asia-Pacific (Australia, India, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil, and Rest of Latin America), and Rest of World
Market Segmentation & ClassificationProduct Segments:
- Bauxite (Metallurgical Bauxite, & Non-Metallurgical Bauxite), and Alumina (Metallurgical Alumina, & Non-Metallurgical Alumina).
- Alcoa Corporation
- Alumina Limited
- Hindalco Industries Limited
- National Aluminum Company Ltd.
- Norsk Hydro ASA
- Rio Tinto Alcan, Inc.
- United Company RUSAL
- South32 Limited
How Can You Benefit?
This research project broadly covers analysis of all market trends, drivers, challenges and other macro market scenarios you need to know to improve your strategic planning and remain informed and competitive. The study also provides reliable ready facts and exclusive statistical data insights in addition to expert and highly accurate market size forecasts and projections to help you identify new markets and opportunities for revenue growth and sustainability. The extensive reportage of industry, company and product news and stories together with coverage of all major and niche players provided in the report helps you build a 360 degree perspective on your markets and gain unsurpassed insights needed to devise plans and strategies to maximize business growth.
Interested in a copy of this report?
Contact me for a personal quote: