"Christmas in the UK, 2017", report forms part of GlobalData’s Retail Occasions series, and offers a comprehensive insight into the consumer dynamics and spending habits of consumers for Christmas. The report analyses the market, the major players, the main trends, and consumer attitudes.
Value retailers and discounters were the winners of Christmas 2017 as high inflation rates hit shoppers, with 41.1% of shoppers choosing a retailer because of low prices. Although demand for some products is growing, for example secret santa gifts, overall gift penetration has fallen by 12.4% since 2016.
- Higher returns following the Christmas period are being driven by 16-24 year olds, presenting logistical challenges for retailers.
- Marks and Spencer is the number one retailer that shoppers switch to for Christmas food shopping, highlighting that although discounters are winning shoppers over in some sectors, quality remains important to consumers in others.
- The trend of adult advent calendars continues to build, with 35.9% of advent calendar shoppers purchasing one for themselves.
Reasons To Buy
- Using our in-depth consumer insight to learn which areas within Christmas shopping are most important to ensure that product offerings are catering to the needs and wants of customers.
- Understand what drives consumers to use a retailer for their purchases, such as convenience, value for money and delivery options in order to maximise sales potential.
- Use our in-depth analysis of the leading retailers for Christmas in order to understand how to appeal shoppers and maximise market share.