Image Sensors Market Analysis and Forecast (2013 – 2018): By Applications (Healthcare (Endoscopy, Radiology, Ophthalmology), Surveillance, Automobile, Consumer, Defense, Industrial)); Technology (CCD, CMOS, Contact IS, Infrared, X-ray) and Geography.
Published: Feb 2013 - Pages: 253 - Report code: ASDR-46402
Image sensors are present since the advent of digital cameras and image reproducing devices. Since early 1990s, image sensors have evolved from a simple single array CCD to a complex 3D array digital SLR image sensors. Apart from cameras, image sensors are experiencing a heavy adoption in applications such as security and surveillance, automobile drive assistance, and machine vision. All these applications are driven by the demand for a system and process automation. Healthcare segment is also identified as one of the major industry vertical for image sensors. Image sensors assist in endoscopy, dentistry, oncology, X-rays, and Microscopy. The research conducted suggests that the healthcare devices are the major drivers of the enterprise image sensor market.
The introduction of low cost CMOS resulted in the emergence of the integrated camera market. These miniature cameras are integrated in the multi-media devices such as; mobile phones, tablets, PDAs, and Notebooks. This segment of the image sensor is a high volume segment as identified from the research findings. The report forecasts the volume as well as value based market for the image sensors used for consumer applications.
The total image sensors market is also segmented according to various technologies and capabilities the sensor exhibit. The report includes quantitative data analysis for the sensor types such as; CCD, CMOS, Hybrid, and CID. The demand for x-ray receivers and infrared cameras has given rise to various image sensors operating at different wave lengths. Three types; visible, infrared, and x-ray image sensors are included for the analysis. The total market is also divided by substrate type (Silicon and Indium Phosphide), array type (linear, 2D, and 3D), and by formats (VGA and PAL). The division and analysis of the market by sensor types and technologies gives an in-depth understanding of emerging sensor types, flagship sensor types, and declining sensor types.
It has been observed from the study that the value chain of the image sensors is well established and has a strong global presence. For example, most of the sensor manufactures and foundries are situated in APAC region, whereas other market contributors such as; fables players, technology developers, and system integrators are based in the U.S. The research study analyses the entire value chain and identifies the burning issues and market winning imperatives affect the image sensor market. Also, critical market pointers such as; price trend analysis, porter's five force model of image sensor market, market dynamics, and manufactures competitiveness mapping are elaborated in the report.
All of the above mentioned segmentation and quantitative analysis is done for the global image sensors market. However, market stakeholders are also interested in the region specific data; and to suffice this need, the report includes image sensors market segmentation by geography. Four major economic regions - North America, Europe, APAC, and ROW are considered for the analysis. Each of the regions is further segmented by technology and application.
Market leaders such as; Aptina, LLC (U.S.), OmniVision Technologies, Ltd (U.S.), Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, Sharp Corporation, Sharp Microelectronics, Sony Corporation, ST Microelectronics, and Toshiba Corporation are few amongst the companies profiled in the report. Company profiles chapter analyze a company's strategy to grow in the image sensors market, new products launches taking place, acquisition & merger news, and partnerships and contracts signed from 2008 to 2012..
- The global image sensors market is estimated to grow at a modest CAGR of 3.84% from 2013 till 2018 and is expected to cross $10.75 billion by the end of these five years.
- Currently, camera mobile phones are the major contributors to this market. In 2012, approximately, 80% of the image sensors were shipped for this application
- Emerging applications such as medical imaging, POV cameras, UAV cameras, digital radiology, and factory automation factors are driving the market with their high growth rate. However, they are low volume applications and would require longer duration to impact the market heavily
- CMOS technology commands a major market share against CCD and contact image sensor types. In 2012, CMOS approximately had 85% of the share
- Apart from the visible spectrum domain, manufacturers are also focusing on the infrared and X-ray image sensors. By the year 2018, approximately 800,000 units of infrared sensors and 300,000 units of X-ray sensors are forecasted to be shipped
- Currently, North America holds the largest share, but APAC is expected to surpass in 2013 with its strong consumer electronics market
Related Press Release(s)
Purchase this Report
Global Market Research
Global Market Research