The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
China’s financial services sector is evolving rapidly, providing investors with a multitude of new investment opportunities and channels. While still developing, the traditional private banking concept has already been shaken as the changing demand patterns of China’s wealthy have given rise to new business models. New entrants in the robo-space are competing alongside the country’s well-established incumbents, foreign entrants, and offshore providers.
Going forward, rapidly rising wealth levels and a growing investment universe will continue to drive HNW demand, enticing more wealth managers to tap the opportunity the Chinese wealth market provides. Players that understand the unique characteristics and changing demographics of the local investor base will be able to succeed in China’s rapidly changing private banking market.
Chinese HNW investors, who skew heavily towards entrepreneurial males across three industries, show strong demand for most forms of wealth advice and planning. A multi-service proposition underpinned by a proven ability to demonstrate returns will be key to tapping into demand. A uniquely large expat market, a burgeoning appetite for novel options such as robo-advice, and the upcoming monumental transfer of wealth between generations provides arguably the most significant growth opportunity for global wealth managers in the foreseeable future.
"Wealth in China: HNW Investors 2018", report analyzes the investing preferences and portfolio allocation of Chinese HNW investors. Specifically the report -
- Profiles the average Chinese HNW investor in terms of their demographics and explores the expat opportunity in China.
- Analyzes which wealth management mandates are preferred among Chinese HNW investors and how demand will develop going forward.
- Examines the allocation of Chinese HNW investors’ portfolios into different asset classes and how this is expected to develop in the future.
- Discusses HNW investors’ propensity to invest offshore, their preferred booking centers and asset classes, as well as China’s standing as an offshore center.
- Identifies product and service demand among Chinese HNW investors.
- Females account for a mere 11% of Chinese HNW investors. But as they benefit more from equal rights than ever before they represent a growing target segment.
- Expats constitute 23% of the local HNW population. They represent an attractive target market thanks to their more complex service requirements.
- Chinese HNW asset allocation has become more diverse. The proportion of cash holdings has fallen to 19%, while fixed-income products have risen to 9%.
- Real estate investment demand will soften slightly, but the rise of authentic real estate investment trusts (REITs) will be a game-changer.
- Pensions/retirement and financial planning are the most sought after wealth management services, with 87and 95% of wealth managers reporting strong HNW demand.
Reasons To Buy
- Develop and enhance your client targeting strategies using our data on HNW profiles and sources of wealth.
- Give your marketing strategies the edge required and capture new clients using insights from our data on HNW investors’ preferences for the various styles of asset management.
- Tailor your investment product portfolio to match current and future demand for different asset classes among HNW individuals.
- Develop your product and service proposition to match demand expressed by Chinese HNW investors and react proactively to forecasted changes in demand.