The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
Failure Case Study: Lidl’s Deluxe Kangaroo Steak - Discount retailer forced to pull exotic yet controversial meat from shelves
"Failure Case Study: Lidl’s Deluxe Kangaroo Steak", is part of GlobalData’s Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the failure of Lidl’s platform, the company’s exotic yet controversial meat offering. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Lidl, one of the UK’s leading discounters, removed its Deluxe-branded kangaroo steak offering from shelves following animal welfare concerns. The rare meat offering provided adventurous consumers with a favorable nutritional profile, which aligns with growing health awareness. A general reduction in the consumption of meat threatens the success of meat offerings, while ethical campaigns can further challenge consumption. This failure has inadvertently identified two solutions: offering exotic breeds of mainstream meats, such as pork and beef, and investing in lab-grown meat ventures, all of which suppress ethical and sustainability anxieties.
- Brands should track evolving consumer trends to ensure product ranges align with demand.
- Products need to be in line with the target audience’s ethical beliefs.
- Exotic breeds of mainstream livestock and lab-grown meat are two areas that could allow producers to offer new flavor experiences without facing a consumer backlash.
Reasons To Buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.