The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
Fire and explosion form most important factor for unplanned refinery maintenance. Unplanned refinery maintenance was usually due to power outage, unfavorable weather, and technical issues.
In Q1 2018, among all regions, North America had the highest refining capacity under maintenance (both planned and unplanned) with 2,398 thousand barrels per day (mbd). The Middle East and Asia came second and third, respectively.
Port Arthur II refinery in the US with refining capacity of 578 mbd, Mailiao refinery in Taiwan (540 mbd) and Mina Al-Ahmadi refinery in Kuwait (466 mbd) were the top three refineries in terms of refining capacity shutdown for planned maintenance. In terms of refining capacity shutdown due to unplanned maintenance, Kochi refinery in India (311 mbd), Port Harcourt I in Nigeria (210 mbd) and Pavlodar in Kazakhstan (151 mbd) were the key refineries globally. The unscheduled maintenance in Kochi and Pavlodar were due to fire incidents, while Port Harcourt I was shut down due to damaged equipment.
In Q1 2017, the top three refineries in terms of planned maintenance were - the Ruwais refinery (800 mbd) in the UAE, operated by Abu Dhabi Oil Refining Co; the Mailiao refinery (540 mbd) in Taiwan, operated by Formosa Petrochemical Corporation; and the Sinopec Maoming Company-operated Maoming refinery (472 mbd) in China.
Key Highlights included in this report -
- North America also had the highest refining capacity of 2,236 mbd under planned maintenance in Q1.
- Asia had the highest refining capacity of 311 mbd under unplanned maintenance in Q1 2018. Africa and North America followed with 283 mbd and 162 mbd, respectively.
- Globally, among countries, the US (1,816 mbd), Canada, and Taiwan had the highest refining capacities under maintenance (both planned and unplanned) in the quarter.
- Among refineries, Port Arthur II in the US, Mailiao in Taiwan, and Mina Al-Ahmadi in Kuwait had the highest refining capacities under maintenance
- Analysis of capacity under maintenance for crude distillation, coking, fluid catalytic cracking, hydrocracker, hydrotreater, and reformer units globally for Q1 2018 and Q1 2017
- Comparison of select refinery units under maintenance (planned, unplanned and both) by major regions for Q1 2018 and Q1 2017
- Comparison of select refinery units under maintenance (planned, unplanned and both) by PADD regions in the US for both the quarters
- Comparison of select refinery units under maintenance (planned, unplanned and both) by operators for both the quarters
- Comparison of factors responsible for unplanned maintenance globally by region for Q1 2018 and Q1 2017.
Reasons To Buy
- Keep abreast of major refinery units (crude distillation, coking, fluid catalytic cracking, hydrocracker, hydrotreater and reformer) undergoing maintenance globally
- Obtain information on region-wise maintenance globally for Q1 2018 in comparison with Q1 2017
- Identify and compare PADD regions and operators with highest maintenance in both the quarters
- Facilitate decision making on the basis of strong refinery maintenance data
- Assess your competitor’s refinery maintenance data.