The alcoholic space represents a highly innovative and dynamic environment for growth, especially as consumers begin to explore and push conventional boundaries. This report covers various emerging and evolving themes including the disputable ’craft’ movement, commitment to sustainability, demand for sweeter indulgence, unusual ’two-in-one’ drinks, and finally, the abstract ’lifestyle’ movement.
The report "Top Trends in Alcoholic Drinks 2018", has identified five innovation trends within alcoholic beverages -
- True Authenticity vs Mass Craft: With many big brands fooling consumers with their mass-produced ’craft’ beverages, consumers grow concerned that their craft offering is not truly authentic.
- Drinking Sustainably: As the global population continues to inflate, managing the relationship between water, food and energy becomes turbulent, thus brewers must modify operations to reflect the consumers’ desire to act responsibly.
- Dessert Indulgence: Consumers continually seek novel and unique products within the space, thus replacing traditional flavors with sweeter, more-familiar experiences. Using unusual formulations appeal more to younger consumers.
- Sensory Hybrids: Merging different flavor profiles and textures to break down barriers between categories, consumers demand beverages which blend two contrasting ingredients or processes, including two-in-one beverages and spirits.
- Lifestyle Beverages: With a growing concern over health and appearance, consumers seek beverages which complement and even aid their lifestyle choices, including functional beverages which help achieve particular goals.
Companies mentioned in this report: AB InBev, Goose Island, Elysian, Sipsmith, Brewdog, Shed1, Stone Brewing, Cotswolds Distillery, Diageo, 4copas, Crop Vodka, Veuve Clicquot, French Rabbit, Greenbar Distillery, Purity, Molsons Coors, Accolade Wines, Fosters, Buzzballz, Bakewell Gin, V Gallery, Zing Red Velvet Vodka, Glenfiddich, Vodquila, Courvoisier Rose, Nuvo, Absolut Tune, Boston Beer, Truly Spiked and Sparkling, Lean Machine, Barbell Brew, Dune Surfer, Bud Select
- True craft is being lost to larger, more aggressive corporations. Therefore it is important that brewers embody certain standards, stress independence, and utilize heritage.
- Consumers are aware about the wider community and wish to engage with the environment. Brands should adopt a stronger, more ethical stance, promote the use of sustainable development, and use ingredients with integrity.
- Conventional norms are being challenged, thus placing greater desire for sweeter flavors. In order to capitalize on this trend, brands are prompted to create novel, yet familiar experiences and infuse offerings with exotic ingredients.
- Consumers demand complex drinking sensations, including mixing two contrasting drinks. Brands must employ beverage exploration and create new sensory benefits.
- Consumers demand drinks that are aligned to their personal needs/lifestyle, such as a passion for exercise. There is a clear need to stress health and wellness credentials, and offer additional functionality.
Reasons To Buy
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from within your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.