The global market for Ostomy and Incontinence Products is projected to reach US$23.4 billion by 2024, driven by high decibel marketing efforts to improve consumer awareness, developments in retail distribution infrastructure aimed at improving consumer reach and growing prevalence of incontinence as a result of a rapidly aging population and rise in obesity, diabetes and other co-morbid conditions. Other factors driving adoption of these products include increasing focus on leading active lifestyles among the elderly; product innovations that make adult diapers thinner, more absorbent and discreet; rise of the internet in enabling unobtrusive purchases; growing popularity of reusable/washable incontinence underwear supported by affordability and environmental benefits; rising focus on patient care and remote patient monitoring and the ensuing increase in commercial value of incontinence products integrated with RFID and sensor wafer chips; receding social stigma and emotional distress associated with incontinence; changing healthcare financing policies for incontinence and the resulting increased reimbursement for incontinence products. Few of the noteworthy innovations in the market development of incontinence products for men with light bladder leakage with unique design to suit a man’s anatomy; OdorLock technology that traps odors; super absorbent cores for dryness protection; conformable disposable products specially designed for a variety of body shapes and sizes for a customized fit for waist and hips of a pear-shaped wearer and apple-shaped wearer; innovations in packaging with distinct color coding and absorbency scale graphic to enable customers quick and informed purchase decisions. High profile R&D activity is underway for products that replicate the comfort and feel of cotton underwear which current products in the market sorely lack. Europe represents the largest market worldwide supported by societal aging, higher awareness, and favorable reimbursement policies. Asia-Pacific ranks as the fastest growing market with a CAGR of 12.2% over the analysis period. The growth in the region is led by the rise in obesity and colorectal cancer, developments in healthcare retailing, greater willingness among patients to seek treatment and care and increased healthcare per capita spending among the expanding base of middle class population.
Company and Industry News & Stories
- Cardinal Health Acquires Medtronic's Patient Recovery Business in a Transaction Valued at US$6.1 Billion
- Pegas Owner Plans to Buy First Quality Nonwovens in a Move to Build Global Platform
- ElderSens Introduces DiaperSens Smart Diaper Sensor Designed to Detect Wet Adult Diapers
- Coloplast Unveils New Sensura Mio Designed to Fit Individual Body Profiles
- Tena Introduces Novel Technology for Incontinence Products that Allows Excess Moisture to Evaporate, Maintain Skin's Natural Moisture Balance and Improve Comfort for Wearers
Outlook in Key Market Segments
- Through 2024, Incontinence Products will remain the largest market, followed by Ostomy Products.
- Within the Incontinence Products segment, Disposable Adult Diapers and Disposable Adult Shields are projected to provide the largest revenue opportunity over the medium to long-term period.
Product Definition & Scope
- The WHO defines incontinence as the inability to control urination or defecation functions. Aging represents the key cause for incontinence. Incontinence mainly arises due to degenerative changes associated with aging. Other factors causing incontinence include injuries to pelvic region or spinal cord, pelvic surgery, birth defects, multiple sclerosis, infection, and neurological diseases. Incontinence products market mainly comprises disposable products (adult diapers, adult shields, and under pads), bags, clamps, deodorizers, urinals, and cleaners. Ostomy is a surgically created artificial opening in the abdomen for passage of bodily wastes. Ostomy procedure is essential for several patients who suffer from intestinal or urinary medical conditions; inflammatory bowel diseases (such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis); colorectal or bladder cancer; birth defects, life-threatening traumatic injury to the abdomen, or other urinary or intestinal medical conditions. Ostomy care products comprise ostomy bags/pouches and accessories, such as skin barriers/care products, deodorants, and irrigation products.
Timeline for Analysis
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil and Rest of Latin America), and Rest of World
Market Segmentation & Classification
- Product Segments:
- Incontinence Products (Disposable Adult Diapers, Disposable Adult Shields, Disposable Under Pads, Drainage Bags, Incontinence Clamps, Incontinence Cleaners, Deodorizers & Urinals), and Ostomy Products (Ostomy Bags/Pouches, Deodorants, Irrigation Products, & Skin Barriers/Care Products)
- Attends Healthcare Products, Inc.
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- C. R. Bard, Inc.
- Kimberly-Clark Corp.
- Medline Industries, Inc.
- Ontex Group NV
- Essity Aktiebolag (publ)
- The Procter & Gamble Company
How Can You Benefit?
This research project broadly covers analysis of all market trends, drivers, challenges and other macro market scenarios you need to know to improve your strategic planning and remain informed and competitive. The study also provides reliable ready facts and exclusive statistical data insights in addition to expert and highly accurate market size forecasts and projections to help you identify new markets and opportunities for revenue growth and sustainability. The extensive reportage of industry, company and product news and stories together with coverage of all major and niche players provided in the report helps you build a 360 degree perspective on your markets and gain unsurpassed insights needed to devise plans and strategies to maximize business growth.