Portuguese military expenditure declined at a CAGR of -3.49% to value US$12.2 Billion cumulatively during the historic period. This was primarily due to the debt crisis, which has severely affected the Portuguese economy, requiring the country to adopt tough austerity measures, such as reducing wages and raising tax rates. However, the Portuguese government undertook anti-austerity measures between 2016 and 2017, and is planning to completely withdraw austerity reforms during the forecast period, which is expected to boost the country’s economy.
Portuguese homeland security expenditure is anticipated to reach US$2.4 Billion by 2022, registering a CAGR of 1.59% during 2018-2022. This expenditure is primarily driven by Portugal’s focus on enhancing its defense capabilities to counter the increasing rate of cyber-attacks and securing the country’s maritime borders.
Portugal’s defense imports declined after 2012 due to budget cuts. The country sourced the majority of its defense equipment from the US, accounting for 39.5% of total imports during 2012-2016. Italy, Austria, Denmark, Finland and Israel are other major countries from which Portugal has imported military equipment. Over the period 2017-2022, Portugal’s defense imports are expected to increase slightly as Portugal is in the process of purchasing six KC-390 military airlifters from Embraer. The country is also willing to acquire a landing platform dock (LPD) and new replenishment ship post-2020.
The report “Future of Portuguese Defense Industry - Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Forecasts to 2022” offers detailed analysis of the Portuguese defense industry with market size forecasts covering the next five years. This report will also analyze factors that influence demand for the industry, key market trends, and challenges faced by industry participants.
In particular, this report provides the following -
- The Portuguese defense industry market size and drivers: Detailed analysis of the Portuguese defense industry during 2018-2022, including highlights of the demand drivers and growth stimulators for the industry. It also provides a snapshot of the country’s expenditure and modernization patterns
- Budget allocation and key challenges: Insights into procurement schedules formulated within the country and a breakdown of the defense budget with respect to capital expenditure and revenue expenditure. It also details the key challenges faced by defense market participants within the country.
- Porter’s Five Force analysis of the Portuguese defense industry: Analysis of the market characteristics by determining the bargaining power of suppliers, bargaining power of buyers, threat of substitution, intensity of rivalry, and barriers to entry.
- Import and Export Dynamics: Analysis of prevalent trends in the country’s imports and exports over the last five years.
- Market opportunities: Details of the top five defense investment opportunities over the next 10 years.
- Competitive landscape and strategic insights: Analysis of the competitive landscape of the Portuguese defense industry. It provides an overview of key players, together with insights such as key alliances, strategic initiatives, and a brief financial analysis.
Companies mentioned in this report: OGMA, EID, Edisoft, EMPORDEF TI, Indra Sistemas, Leonardo, Arsenal Alfeite, Fabrequipa, Critical Software
- In 2017, the Portuguese MoD allocated US$2.4 billion to its total defense budget, registering a CAGR of -3.49% during 2013-2017. However, Portugal’s defense budget is expected to grow at a CAGR of 1.08% to value US$12.2 billion cumulatively over the forecast period.
Reasons To Buy
- This report will give the user confidence to make the correct business decisions based on a detailed analysis of the Portuguese defense industry market trends for the coming five years
- The market opportunity section will inform the user about the various military requirements that are expected to generate revenues during the forecast period. The description includes technical specifications, recent orders, and the expected investment pattern by the country during the forecast period
- Detailed profiles of the top domestic and foreign defense manufacturers with information about their products, alliances, recent contract wins, and financial analysis wherever available. This will provide the user with a total competitive landscape of the sector
- A deep qualitative analysis of the Portuguese defense industry covering sections including demand drivers, Porter’s Five Forces Analysis, Key Trends and Growth Stimulators, and latest industry contracts