Greek Ice Cream sector accounted for a volume share of 0.22% of the global market and 1.4% of the regional (Western Europe) market in 2016. The sector is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 1.9% during 2016-2021. Growth in the sector can be attributed to an aging population and favorable weather conditions in the county. The per capita consumption of Ice Cream products stood at 4.22kg, when compared to the global and Western Europe levels of 3.96kg and 7.88kg, respectively, in 2016.
The consumption of Ice Cream is high among the female population in Greece. It is particularly high amongst consumers who received primary education. In terms of consumption by age group, Older Consumers and Mid-Lifers together accounted for a 50% volume share in 2016. Artisanal Ice Cream was the largest by value sales in 2016. The market is expected to grow at a fastest CAGR of 2+ % during the forecast period (2016-2021), compared to ’Impulse Ice Cream - Single Serve’ and Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream.
On-trade transactions account for a leading share of 44.9% in the distribution of Ice Cream products in Greece, followed by Hypermarkets & Supermarkets. Food & Drinks Specialists and Convenience Stores accounted for shares of 17.9% and 9%, respectively. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used packaging material in the Greek Ice Cream sector. In 2016, it accounted for a share of 64.1%, followed by Paper & Board and Rigid Plastics.
Magnum is the leading brand in the Greek Ice Cream sector. The top five brands in the sector accounted for a 35.8% value share, while private labels and artisanal producers held 0.2% and 21.3% value shares, respectively, in 2016.
The report "Country Profile: Ice Cream Sector in Greece", provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021. The overall market value and volume included in the report is split on the basis of On-trade and Off-trade
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Artisanal Ice Cream, Impulse Ice Cream - Single Serve, and Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube
Companies mentioned in this report: Artisanal Producers, Kri Kri S.A., Nestle, Unilever, Dodoni, General Mills, Inc., Mars, Incorporated
- Greece ranks third on the extent of fragmentation when compared to the other four leading countries in the region
- The top five brands accounting for a 35.8% share in 2016
- The per capita consumption of Ice Cream is higher in Greece compared to the global level
- Artisanal Ice Cream is the largest market in value terms in the Greek Ice Cream sector
- The Artisanal Ice Cream market is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2016-2021
- Artisanal Producers lead the Greek Ice Cream sector
Reasons To Buy
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Ice Cream products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.