The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
German Confectionery sector accounted for a volume share of 8.6% of the global market and 31.0% of the regional (Western Europe) market, in 2016. The sector was valued at ?9,472.6 Million (US$10,472.3 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.1% during 2016-2021. Rising consumer confidence, boosted by the falling unemployment rate and growing disposable income is prompting Germans to spend more on indulgent treats more frequently, which is driving the consumption of Confectionery products. Per capita consumption stood at 13.3kg when compared to the global and Western Europe levels of 2.5kg and 8.6kg, respectively, in 2016.
Chocolate was the largest with value sales of ?6,072.2 Million (US$6,713.1 Million) in 2016. Furthermore, it is expected to grow fastest at a CAGR of 3.3% compared to Sugar Confectionery (3.0%) and Gum (2.8%).
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets was the leading distribution channel in the German Confectionery sector, accounting for a total value share of 51.9% in 2016. It was followed by Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists and Vending machines with shares of 25.7%, 14.5% and 1.8%, respectively, in the same year. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used package material in the German Confectionery sector. In 2016, it accounted for a volume share of 73.3%, followed by Paper & Board and Rigid Plastics with shares of 12.6% and 12.0%, respectively.
The top five brands in the German Confectionery sector accounted for 25.1% value share, in 2016. Private labels accounted for 12.9% share by value in the same year. Health & Wellness attributes such as ’Free From’ and ’Food Intolerance’ and consumer benefits such as ’Health Management’ and ’General Wellbeing’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the German Confectionery sector.
The report "Country Profile: Confectionery Sector in Germany" provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021.
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Chocolate, Gum, and Sugar Confectionery with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021.
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016.
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others.
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube.
Companies mentioned in this report: Mondelez International, Inc, Mars, Incorporated, Haribo GmbH & Co. KG, Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Spr?ngli AG, Alfred Ritter GmbH & Co. KG., Ferrero, August Storck Kg, Katjes Fassin Gmbh + Co. Kg, Ludwig Schokolade Gmbh & Co. Kg.
- The Confectionery sector in Germany is forecast to grow at 3.1% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
- Per capita consumption of Chocolate and Sugar Confectionery is noticeably high in Germany compared to global and regional levels
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel followed by Convenience Stores
- Milka accounts for the leading share in the German Confectionery sector
- Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used package material in the German Confectionery sector
Reasons To Buy
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Confectionery products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.