Greek Bakery & Cereals sector accounted for a value share of 0.9% of the global market and 3.91% of the regional (Western Europe) market, in 2016. The sector was valued at ?5,610.3 Million (US$6,202.4 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.1% during 2016-2021. Economic recovery post receiving the bailout and rising urbanization rates are forecast to drive the demand of Bakery & Cereals sector in Greece. Per capita consumption stood at 111.9kg when compared to the global and Western Europe levels of 26.4kg and 74.8kg, respectively, in 2016.
Bread & Rolls is the largest with value sales of ?1,840.9 Million (US$2,035.2 Million) in 2016. Furthermore, Breakfast Cereals is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.3% compared to Baking Mixes (2.8%), Morning Goods (2.8%), Savory Biscuits (2.8%), Baking Ingredients (2.7%), Dough Products (2.7%), Cereal Bars (2.6%), ’Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies’ (1.5%), Bread & Rolls (1.4%), Cookies (Sweet Biscuits) (1.4%) and Energy Bars (1.2%).
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the leading distribution channel in the Greek Bakery & Cereals sector, accounting for a total value share of 41.4% in 2016. It is followed by Food & Drinks Specialists, and Convenience Stores, which accounted for 36.3% and 18.6%, in the same year. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used packaging material in the Greek Bakery & Cereals sector with a share of 89.7% in 2016. This is followed by Rigid Plastics and Paper & Board with shares of 6.9% and 2.6% respectively in the same year.
Health & Wellness attributes such as ’Naturally Healthy’ and ’Food Minus’ and consumer benefits such as ’General Wellbeing’ and ’Weight & Shape Management’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the Greek Bakery & Cereals sector. Consumption of Bakery & Cereals is high among urban population, particularly those who have attended upper secondary school. In terms of consumption by age group, Older Consumers and Mid-Lifers together accounted for a 51.1% share in 2016.
Artisanal Producers accounted for value and volume shares of 32.9% and 50.8%, respectively in 2016. They are followed by Aigaion, Papadopoulos and Pillsbury with value shares of 5.7%, 3.8% and 1.9% respectively in the same year.
The report "Country Profile: Bakery & Cereals Sector in Greece" provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, types and closures category level distribution data and brands market shares.
In particular, this report provides the following -
- Market Data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021
- Category Coverage: Value and growth analysis for Baking Ingredients, Baking Mixes, Bread & Rolls, Breakfast Cereals, ’Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies’, Cereal Bars, Cookies (Sweet Biscuits), Dough Products, Energy Bars, Morning Goods, and Savory Biscuits with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading Players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution Data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others.
- Packaging Data: consumption breakdown for packaging materials and containers in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Packaging material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; container data for: Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Box, Pouch, and Tin.
Companies mentioned in this report: Giotis, Elbisco Holding S.A.,, Elgeka S.A., Pudding Sa, Unilever Plc, Artisanal Producers, E.J. , Papadopoulos S.A., Forma, Karamolegos Bakery Industry Sa, Mestemarcher GmbH, Recor, To manna, Cereal Partners Worldwide S.A., PepsiCo, Inc., The Kellogg Company, Bright Food (Group) Co., Ltd., Introfex Ltd, Nestle S.A., Chipita S.A., Stergiou Aebe, Bahlsen Gmbh & Co. Kg, Bingo S.A., Karamolegou Maria Ltd, Kraft Foods Group, Inc., Mondelez International, Inc, Parle Products Pvt Ltd, United Biscuits Ltd, Violanta S.A., BARBA STATHIS S.A., Dolano Foods, General Mills, Inc., Hellenic Quality Foods Sa, Loukoumades Aigaion, Alex Soleas & Son Ltd, The Evga Sa
- The Bakery & Cereals sector in Greece is forecast to grow at 2.1% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
- Bread & Rolls is the largest market in value and volume terms in the Greek Bakery & Cereals sector
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel, followed by Food & Drinks Specialists and Convenience Stores
- Private label penetration is highest in the Breakfast Cereals market
Reasons To Buy
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Bakery & Cereals products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.