The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
German Ice Cream sector was valued at ?5,282.8 Million (US$5,840.4 Million) in 2016 and is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 2.5% during 2016-2021. The rising purchasing power of Germans led by economic growth in the country is enabling them to spend more on high quality sweet treats such as Ice Cream. Additionally, the emergence of private labels offering high quality Ice Cream made with “better for you” ingredients is boosting consumption. Per capita consumption of Ice Cream products stood at 9.1kg, which is high when compared to the global and Western Europe levels of 4kg and 7.9kg, respectively, in 2016.
Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream was the largest with value sales of ?2,748.4 Million (US$3,038.5 Million) in 2016. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 1.7% during the forecast period (2016-2021), while the Artisanal Ice Cream market is expected to record the fastest CAGR of 3.9%.
On-trade transactions account for a leading share in the distribution of Ice Cream products in Germany. In 2016, On-trade transactions held a 57.5% value share, followed by
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Food & Drinks Specialists and Convenience Stores. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used package material in the German Ice Cream sector, followed by Rigid Plastics and Paper & Board.
’Food Intolerance’ is an important Health & Wellness product attribute, while ’General Wellbeing’ is the most sought after consumer benefit in the German Ice Cream sector.
Germany’s GDP per capita grew at a CAGR of 2.4% during 2011-2016. Low consumer prices and high employment rates have had a positive impact on the Ice Cream sector. Magnum is the leading brand in the German Ice Cream sector. The top five brands in the sector accounted for a 34.6% value share, while private labels and artisanal producers held 24.8% and 13% value shares, respectively, in 2016.
The report "Country Profile: Ice Cream Sector in Germany" provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021. The overall market value and volume included in the report is split on the basis of On-trade and Off-trade
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Artisanal Ice Cream, Impulse Ice Cream - Single Serve, and Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube.
Companies mentioned in this report: Unilever, Nestle, Bofrost Diensteistungs Gmbh, Mars, Incorporated, Royal FrieslandCampina N.V., General Mills, Inc., R&R Ice Cream, DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH, Busemann Gmbh, BRUNO GELATO GmbH
- The Ice Cream sector in Germany is forecast to grow at 2.5% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
- Per capita consumption in the Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream market is noticeably higher compared to other markets in Germany
- On-trade transactions account for the leading share in the distribution of Ice Cream products in Germany
- Artisanal Producers lead the German Ice Cream sector
- Rigid Plastics is the most commonly used package material in the German Ice Cream sector
Reasons To Buy
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Ice Cream products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.