“Smart” Tech and E-Commerce in the packaging industry until 2022: A Global Executives Survey
“Smart” packaging uses technologies, such as microelectronics, computer applications, and nanotechnology, to help extend product shelf life, monitor freshness, display information, and improve safety and convenience for consumers within the FMCG segment. Executives from companies operating in the Rest of the World region and Europe identify that “smart” packaging technology will be the most important key to success in 2022. In North America, information/data sharing and interactive labels are the most influential “smart” packaging features that will gain prominence over the next five years. Generally, executives highlight online shopping as a highly influential trend in the packaging industry.
In the North American and European regions information/data sharing, interactive labels, and temperature control are the key “smart” features of packaging that will gain importance amongst clients by 2022. As such, most packaging companies are willing to pay up to 5% more for “smart” packaging compared to conventional packaging.
Green packaging uses eco-friendly manufacturing methods and recyclable materials to have less impact on the environment and lower energy consumption. Another part of the eco-friendly smart packaging trend are clean labels. Clean labels tend to have shorter ingredient lists and better source transparency which appeals to consumers seeking more “green” products.
The majority of executives’ highlights online shopping as a highly influential trend in the packaging industry and will have a major impact on their business in the next five years. They anticipate their clients to enquire about e-commerce specific packaging in less than two years and expect to change production processes in order to meet the necessities of online shopping for their clients and consumers.
Executives operating in Europe and North America state they will be much more influenced by the personalization/customization of packaging over the next five years. Personalized packaging enhances the users experience and creates an opportunity for companies to differentiate themselves.
The report ’“Smart” Tech and E-Commerce in the packaging industry until 2022: A Global Executives Survey’ examines the role of “Smart” Technology and E-commerce in the global packaging industry. The report identifies key trends that will influence the packaging industry over the next five years and highlights the significance of e-commerce specific packaging and ’smart’ packaging features.
In particular, this report provides the following -
- CPG packaging trends: Identifies most important trends affecting CPG packaging industry over the next five years.
- Investment in packaging technology: Recognizes packaging trends that require higher investments for companies to adjust their production processes in the next five years.
- Online shopping trends: Highlights the importance of online shopping and its impact on packaging business in the next five years.
- E-commerce specific packaging: Emphasizes benefits of e-commerce specific packaging and describes how it is vital for future growth opportunities.
- “Smart” technology in packaging: Classifies various “smart” features in packaging which are expected to gain prominence over the next five years.
- Barriers of “smart” tech: Identifies major barriers of using “smart” tech in packaging products.
Companies mentioned in this report: WestRock Company, Digimarc, Coca-Cola, Amazon, Nestle.
- In the North American and European regions, information/data sharing, interactive labels, and temperature control are the key “smart” features of packaging that will gain importance amongst clients by 2022
- Adopting and integrating “smart” technology into packaging will be key to success in 2022
- Clean labels is identified as the key eco-friendly “smart” packaging trend
- E-commerce specific packaging will be vital for future growth opportunities
- Packaging needs to offer greater personalization and customization for end-users.
Reasons To Buy
- The report assists organizations to actively plan for investments in “smart” packaging as they enhance customer interface with extended shelf life and increased sustainability
- Helps organizations to explore key “smart” packaging features through which they can connect with consumers
- Benefits organizations to enhance their production processes and supply chain management by understanding the expenses involved and timeframe required for implementing “smart” packaging solutions.