Due to the uncertain environment for large-scale solar power projects, Japan is leaning toward the residential rooftop solar power market. The rooftop solar power market in Southeast Asia is expected to gain momentum due to increasing public awareness and government support. In particular, Singapore is one of the high-growth rooftop solar power markets in Southeast Asia, with its “solar leasing” model, which provides a great platform for the private sector to participate. All in all, the FiT policy and supportive government legislation are key drivers for the rooftop solar power market in most countries in Asia-Pacific.
Australia is expected to continue to hold the leading position in the region of Australia and New Zealand (ANZ), despite rapid growth in New Zealand’s rooftop solar power market. Regarding competition, mergers and acquisitions are expected to continue in the market. As the overall solar market remains optimistically buoyant, leading market participants will probably seek potential consolidation to enhance competency and future business opportunities.
In Southeast Asia, the residential customer segment is the leading end user of rooftop solar PV in Malaysia, the Philippines, and Indonesia. In the Philippines and Indonesia, installations are mainly for electrification in remote areas. Off-grid solar power systems are mainly used for rural electrification. Remote places with little or no access to electricity have to rely on cost-effective off-grid renewable energy systems, which are independent from utility companies. Other regions such as East Asia and ANZ possess slightly different market characteristics in terms of customers and grid connections.
While Southeast Asia is forecast grow fastest, East Asia and ANZ are mature markets that require different strategies to succeed. In this study, market trends are analyzed for a study period of 2016 to 2020. Key market information includes installed capacity forecast, cost trends, and policy development trends.
Key Questions this Study will Answer:
• Where are the fastest growing countries in rooftop solar installations? What are their corresponding policies in solar or renewable energy?
• Which countries offer holistic opportunities in terms of overall market feasibility and policies?
• What are the overall pricing trends in the market? What are the competitive trends and associated key success factors?
• Which are the targeted end users—residential or non-residential buildings?
• Which connection type will remain important—off-grid or on-grid? Where are the opportunities for both connections?