Sensory fusion represents consumer desire for intense and complex sensations, resulting in a better product experience. The desire for maximal sensory benefits drives demand for more sensorial appealing, indulgent products in order to optimize the consumption experience.
Globalization and increased exposure to different cultures have resulted in more informed, demanding consumers. This requires persuasive strategies from brands focused more on emotional than functional aspects to strengthen brands at a subconscious level.
Sensory & Indulgence is one of the eight mega-trends as being integral to shaping the FMCG landscape, reflecting consumers’ continually higher expectations of quality and variety. A core part of this mega-trend, Sensory Fusion highlights the opportunity for brands to create products that maximize the sensorial benefits for consumers
Sensory Fusion is driven by two main key factors
- The need to differentiate: Differentiation is essential in today’s marketplace to satisfy consumers’ attitude to experimenting with new varieties and to seek out new emotional benefits during the consumption experience.
- Broaden tastes and preferences: Traveling and immigration have widened people’s exposure to different cultures, hence making exotic flavors and ingredients more familiar to the average consumer.
- Millennials, Generation X, and female consumers are target segments in developed markets.
- The sensory appeal of a product is a key driver for consumers in emerging markets.
Consumers are unconsciously controlled by the thousands of sensory stimuli they experience on a daily basis as they see, hear, smell, taste, and touch brands. Formulators and brands are increasingly capitalizing on this, improving sensory marketing to engage with customers.
The report "TrendSights Analysis: Sensory Fusion" covers the Sensory Fusion trend within TrendSights framework. Furthermore, analysis covers what the trend is, why it is important, who is most influenced by it, and how brands and manufacturers can capitalize. The research concludes by identifying where the trend is heading next and how long it will last.
Companies mentioned in this report: Benson & Hedges, Pet Remedy, Laundrin’ Botanical, Kailijumei, Hint. The Right Cup, Seedlip, CLR CFF, Captain Morgan LocoNut, Snow Crab, Snask, Magnum, Kit Kat,ChocXO.
- Include ingredients in product formulations that appeal to different senses.
- Improve the texture of products to enhance the consumption experience.
- Embed technology to enhance sensory stimulation.
- Meet demand for more customized flavors, especially in the non-alcoholic drinks category.
- Use experiential marketing to generate a multisensory brand experience.
Reasons To Buy
- Identify how the Sensory Fusion trend impacts upon various FMCG categories.
- Gain insight into the key consumer segments that are most likely to be drivers of innovation.
- Put innovative products into context by connecting them to specific consumer trends and needs.