Majority of air travelers are traveling for business purposes rather than leisure. Online price comparison websites and airline websites are mostly preferred by travelers for booking air tickets, as these channels help them to save money by finding the best deals. Additionally, travel mobile apps are a great bonus for customers, as they are a kind of one-stop solution for booking air tickets. Competitive prices and last-minute gifts are prominent factors motivating travelers to purchase at airport retail stores.
According to the survey, most of travelers prefer PC/Laptop and Smartphone via mobile app, respectively, when booking tickets for travel abroad in 2017. Due to continuous enhancements in technology, mobile users are receiving real time information about travel channels at anytime and anywhere, which improves automation, collaboration, and security. Moreover, travel mobile apps are a kind of one-stop solution, wherein travelers have options for air ticket booking, hotel booking, car rental booking, sightseeing, and travel insurance.
Key finding -
- Globally, the majority of air travelers are traveling for business purposes rather than leisure.
- The majority of travelers in the age group 18–24 years select online price comparison websites for ticket bookings.
- Travelers with annual income between US$100,001 and US$150,000 are most likely to use airline websites for ticket bookings.
- The highest numbers of travelers with annual income less than US$20,000 opt for economy class when traveling abroad.
- Of travelers who are above 65 years, 46% shopped 4–7 times at duty-free airport retail outlets in the past 12 months.
- On average, 47% of female travelers shopped at duty paid airport retail outlets.
- The majority of travelers across all age groups spend 15 minutes or less at duty paid airport retail outlets, especially the 18–24 years age group.
- Competitive prices and last-minute gifts are key factors motivating travelers to purchase at airport retail stores.
- The highest percentage of travelers purchased food and beverages from airport retail stores for consumption at the airport during the last year.
The report "GlobalData Travel and Tourism Survey 2017-2018" is based on the surveyed opinions and expectations of 362 global travelers in April 2017. Comprehensive desk research was also conducted across Travel and Tourism industry sources, with a focus on examining preferred travel destinations, shopping frequency, purchasing patterns and motivation factors to purchase products at airport retail stores. In addition, the report examines time spent at airport retail stores and also provides access to information categorized by age, gender and income level.
- The highest number of travelers prefer PC/Laptop when booking air tickets for travel abroad
- On average, 46% of female travelers shopped at duty-free airport retail outlets
- The majority of travelers purchased food and beverages from airport retail stores for consumption at the airport in the last 12 months
- Competitive prices and last-minute gifts are the key factors motivating travelers to purchase at airport retail stores
- Of travelers, 41% indicate that they intend to travel to the US by air in the next 12 months
Reasons To Buy
- The report analyzes the shopping patterns of travelers at airport retail stores and helps retail operators to realign business strategy
- The report identifies the most preferred channels/devices used by travelers to book air tickets, which helps travel operators to realign their marketing activities
- The report guides airport retailers to understand the key factors that motivate travelers to purchase at airport retail stores
- The report helps airport retailers to strengthen strategic framework by understanding travelers’ average time spent and shopping frequency at airport retail shops
- The report highlights projected countries intended to be visited by travelers during the next 12 months, which will help travel operators to formulate effective business strategies.