The impact of information technology (IT) on the manufacturing industry has been tremendous in recent times. With an increasing number of machines being connected to the Internet, data are being generated in huge volumes. Advancements in real-time data processing and predictive analytics further help in discovering newer ways of utilising the data to generate insights for effective decision making. Today, The Internet of Things (IoT) and data analytics are the two main technologies that are driving the manufacturing space. Currently, most machines are embedded with low-level logical processors that demand a considerable amount of human intervention in making logical and reasonable decisions. Cognitive manufacturing is an evolutionary step in which machines would be able to detect changes in the manufacturing process and know-how to respond in real time to the constantly changing manufacturing scenario with minimal human intervention. The objective of this research service is to give a detailed account of cognitive computing and its application in manufacturing and to understand the competitive landscape. This research service will also look into how cognitive technologies would be the next step in the evolution of smart manufacturing and how this would benefit companies by helping them make smarter decisions on the factory floor. The study also throws light on what the market participants are currently doing in this space and provides proven use cases pertaining to how the market is likely to transform the manufacturing arena in the coming years, which could be helpful to the current set of participants in the market that are looking at understanding what their competitors are doing in the space. It can also serve as a useful point of reference for all other market participants that are not aware of the immense benefits of cognitive computing or are in the verge of making a move in the market.
Key Questions Answered in this Study:
1. What are the evolving technologies that summarize the complex cognitive ecosystem in manufacturing?
2. What is the value addition of cognitive technologies in manufacturing?
3. What are the key trends that will shape the evolution of a cognitive factory?
4. What are cognitive solution providers and adopters doing to enhance manufacturing?
5. What are specific use cases illustrating the application of cognitive technologies in manufacturing?
6. Where are the opportunities in this market and what are the strategies that manufacturers can adopt to accelerate growth?
7. How will the adoption of cognitive affect manufacturing, human resources and economies?