Consumers are becoming increasingly well informed about the products they are buying that relate to their health. This is resulting in higher levels of caution and uncertainty. Companies should look to build trustworthy brands through recognizable ingredients and clean labels. When possible, companies should allow recognizable functional ingredients to “speak for themselves” rather than making product claims on-pack.
Coffee, juices, smoothies, teas, and waters all have their place in providing tools for a healthy lifestyle. Supplementing these with recognizable superfoods and herbs then targeting them at specific ailments has the potential to revitalize the soft drink market. As markets for short term muscle gains and weight loss become saturated, markets targeting long-term health will open up. Discerning consumers will begin looking for products that will provide them with benefits not only now but also later in life. Heart health and bone and joint health are the most important of these concerns, affecting an increasing number of people as life expectancy increases.
The soft drinks industry is facing intense scrutiny over the levels of sugar and artificial ingredients used in its products. At the same time, manufacturers face myriad and conflicting consumer preferences, for drinks that are tasty, healthy, low- or no-calorie, natural, and hydrating, which calls for new approaches to soft drink formulation. This is particularly true in the healthy drinks sector, where there is room to innovate product formulations that offer better long-term health and wellness benefits.
Trend opportunities -
- Long-term health: Aging populations and increasing life expectancy means that more people are suffering from long-term ailments.
- Targeted health: Consumers are increasingly concerned about their health beyond simply gaining or losing weight.
- Simplicity of formulation: Creating trust in big businesses means offering formulations that consumers understand.
- Natural, traditional ingredients: Consumers look for signifiers of reliability when buying products such as “all natural” labels.
- Savory and herbal flavors: The pushback against sugar creates opportunities in herbal and savory drinks.
- Portable functionality: Allowing consumers to carry customizable healthy drinks or infusions with them will increase regularity of usage.
The report “Premiumization Opportunities in Healthy Soft Drinks” helps you to understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry and to gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector. Moreover, it helps to Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Companies mentioned in this report: Pressery, Ouro, Hemp2O, Plenish, Suja, Temple, V8, Ugly Water, BRU Bone Broth, Honest Tea, Naked Juice.
- Over half of global consumers believe raw/unprocessed food and drink is more nutritious, which is encouraging for juices, smoothies, and cold-pressed beverages.
- Consumers are more likely to say that plant-based sources of protein have a positive effect on their health rather than milk or whey protein.
- Nearly two thirds of global consumers say that a "natural" claim would make a product seem more authentic to them.
Reasons To Buy
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.