Hyperparathyroidism (HPT) is a common endocrinal disorder characterized by excessive plasma levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH) stemming from overactivity of the parathyroid glands. The parathyroid glands, of which there are four, regulate physiological calcium homeostasis through a negative feedback mechanism involving PTH secretion. HPT is classified into either primary, secondary, or tertiary, and it is important to differentiate between the three as their underlying aetiology, pathology, and treatment differ.
Sales of hyperparathyroidism (HPT) therapeutics is estimated to be approximately $6.69B in 2015 across the seven major markets covered in this report (7MM): the US, the five major European markets (5EU: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and UK), and Japan. In the 2015 base year, 92% of market share was attributed to secondary HPT (SHPT) therapy sales ($6.16B), whereas primary HPT (PHPT) and tertiary HPT (THPT) held just 4.5% ($307M) and 3.5% ($225M) of the market, respectively.
The most notable trend in corporate strategy in the hyperparathyroidism space was the attempt to develop drugs without the adverse effects seen with the available drug classes. This led to the introduction of cornerstone therapies: Sanofi/Genzyme’s first non-metal based phosphate binders, Renvela/Renagel (sevelamer hydrochloride/carbonate), and AbbVie’s first selective vitamin D receptor agonist (VDRA), Zemplar (paricalcitol), both of which did not cause the associated hypercalcemia seen with the previous standard of care (SOC). Corporate strategy at present follows a similar trend, being particularly gauged towards improving compliance with existing drug classes by enhancing their safety, tolerability, and/or efficacy profiles.
By 2025, it is expected that the HPT market will grow at a strong Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 1.8%, reaching sales of $8.04B by the end of the forecast period. This is mainly attributed to growth in the SHPT space, which is forecast to reflect a CAGR of 2.2%, reaching $7.68B in sales by 2025 (96% of market share). In general, the US will contribute the most to the HPT market growth, as it is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 2.4%, from $3.97B in 2015 to $5.04B in 2025.
Major drivers of HPT market growth over the forecast period are the -
- Launch of Amgen’s first intravenous (IV) calcimimetic, Parsabiv (etelcalcetide), in all 7MM throughout 2017
- Increase in the global prevalence of HPT
- Launch of Rayaldee (calcifediol ER) in the US in 2016
- Increased use of new iron-based phosphate binders, Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide) and Auryxia (ferric citrate)
Companies mentioned in this report: Amgen, Shire, Shield Therapeutics, Keryx Biopharmaceuticals, Sanofi/Genzyme, Vifor Pharmaceuticals, OPKO Health, Inc., Deltanoid Pharmaceuticals, Ardelyx, Spectrum Pharmaceuticals.
- Overview of HPT, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized HPT therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2015 and forecast for ten years to 2025.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the HPT therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global HPT therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons To Buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global HPT therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global HPT therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global HPT therapeutics market from 2015-2025.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.