Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) are a critical component of IoT networks. Sensors are used for detection of changes in the physical and/or logical relationship of one object to another(s) and/or the environment. Physical changes may include temperature, light, pressure, sound, and motion. Logical changes include the presence/absence of an electronically traceable entity, location, and/or activity. Within an IoT context, physical and logical changes are equally important.
Through 2025, business investments in sensors will shift to Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Sports and Fitness, Transport and Cargo and Utility due to increased confidence in using IoT and sensors for various purposes including industry automation, tracking and measuring events on real time basis, and remotely controlling things.
This research assesses the overall sensor marketplace for IoT, evaluates leading vendors, identifies key IoT functionality in support of sensors, and forecasts the market for sensor adoption and revenue. The report covers three key areas within the sensor ecosystem:
- Sensors: H/W and S/W designed and Developed to Suit IoT deployments
- Protocols: Designed and developed to drive Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) in IoT
- Sensor Data: Through Sensor Fusion / Multi-sensing / Soft Sensors
- Sensor companies
- Wireless network operators
- Internet of Things companies
- Wireless device manufacturers
- Telephony infrastructure providers