"Success Case Study: Glaceau Smart water" is part of GlobalData’s Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the success of Coca-Cola’s new electrolyte-enhanced bottled water brand. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products, especially within an oversaturated marketplace.
In 2014, Coca-Cola launched a new bottled water brand, Glaceau Smart water, in the UK. Smart water is created via a process whereby it is vapor-distilled before electrolytes are added for a "crisp, clean taste." It has successfully appealed to consumers wanting to cut down on unhealthy soft drinks.
- Consumers in the UK believe that a product is capable of being both healthy and tasty.
- Water brands should seek to add more functional ingredients to their products as they must be able to successfully differentiate their product line in comparison to competitors’.
- Health-conscious consumers are looking for ingredients that are able to provide further functional benefits, other than everyday benefits such as being low in calories and fat.
Reasons To Buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.