The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
Japan’s beer market, which is heavily dominated by lager and lager-style beer, has been seeing continual decline for decades. Although the volume share of ale and stout is very small in Japan, registering approximately 1% of the overall beer market value in 2015, these kinds of beer have the opportunity to target consumers with interesting new flavors. Japan experienced its first craft beer boom in the 1990s; this died out around 2000, but the subcategory has now recovered.
- YO-HO Brewing is a craft beer pioneer that was established in the late 1990s during the country’s first craft beer boom. The company faced a significant drop in sales in the early 2000s, yet has reinvigorated sales with innovative marketing and individualistic craft beers.
- YO-HO Brewing revamped its online shop in 2004, which turned around its sales, as the channel proved suitable for its niche beer, being able to provide more information about products than physical stores. The company also pursues active event marketing, creating loyal customers.
- After the success of YO-HO Brewing, major beer manufacturers in Japan started to produce craft-style beers, and now Japan is seeing another craft beer boom.
"Success Case Study: YO-HO Brewing Company" is part of Canadean’s Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the success of YO-HO Brewing Company, the top craft beer company in Japan. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Reasons To Buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.