Excerpts from study:
Millennials and Gen Z are the key targets in the education industry. These two generations are highly tech-savvy, less brand loyal, and the younger ones are more involved in family life and decisions than previous generations. Gen Z uses technology for almost everything, and they are quick learners of anything digital. They will be a generation that is accustomed to artificial intelligence and robotics, self-driving cars, and smarter cities.
- Results from the study reveal that the top IT challenges for the education industry include dealing with security threats, ensuring network stability and reliability, and aligning IT with business strategies.
- The K to 12 segment is concerned about migrating to the cloud. Vocation training businesses are far more concerned about security threats, network stability/reliability, and aligning IT with business strategies.
- Over the next few years, there will be a major shift in IT investment drivers – from cost reduction to improving collaboration, gaining a competitive advantage, and accelerating decision making. This is an important trend in education, where there is often much bureaucracy and many stakeholders. The industry is seeking ways to be more agile as costs rise and competition increases.
- UCC, infrastructure and data centers, and enterprise mobility management are the top technologies reported to positively impact cost reduction efforts.
- mCommerce is considered critical or very critical to 56% of organizations. Seventy percent of vocation training respondents find mCommerce a very critical investment for their organization.
- Cybersecurity is the top investment today, but big data and analytics, enterprise mobility management, and infrastructure and data centers will be top of mind when planning for IT investment over the next few years.
- Social media, UCC and digital marketing are the top technologies to impact revenues in the education industry. Social media is an effective tool for reaching the millennials.
- Security risks and cost of integration are the main barriers to IoT deployment.