The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
Gardening sales growth has slowed to 2.1% in 2016, its weakest performance since 2012. Fairly favorable weather conditions early in the year, including above average mean temperatures and levels of sunlight, made 2015 a relatively strong period. Furthermore, 2015 sales were supported by low inflation and interest rates boosting customers’ spending power and recovering levels of consumer confidence encouraging shoppers to make big ticket purchases. A combination of these factors helped boost growth to 2.5%. Subsequently, 2016 has struggled against these strong comparatives.
- Despite ongoing uncertainty over the UK housing market and the outcome of the Brexit vote, gardening is relatively resistant to downturns compared to many other retail categories. Austere consumers perceive it as a low-cost and enjoyable hobby and generally continue to purchase, with some even increasing how much they spend at the expense of more costly activities, such as holidays.
- As garden centres expand and the Gardening market becomes more consolidated, we expect store standards to be raised.
- Gardening shoppers are spending more time in their gardens - 37.8% say they spend more time in their gardens than before, and 45.4% see the garden as an extension of the home.
Gardening 2016 is part of Verdict Retail’s Home Retail Series, which provides expert insight into the gardening market, with value and volume forecasts to 2021. The report provides quantitative and qualitative insight into the UK market, analyzing key trends in the market based on Verdict Retail’s consumer data.
The report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Key issues and success strategies for the gardening market in the UK
- Market size and forecast: a look at the total market size and forecast for the UK gardening market
- Retailer profiles: a detailed look at the dominant players including market shares and outlooks
- Consumer data: a detailed look at what, how and where people are buying gardening products
Reasons To Buy
- This HRS report helps executives build proactive, profitable growth strategies by offering comprehensive, relevant analysis of the gardening market based on insights from Verdict’s bespoke consumer survey and analyst insight.
- The report is designed for senior executives, boasting presentation-ready material.
- The broad but detailed perspective will help manufacturers and retailers understand the opportunities within the gardening market.