With a neutral stance during times of war and a reputation for being a peace loving nation, Switzerland has traditionally assigned only modest amounts of its budget to defense. With no major threat from any nation and people voting against the procurement of military equipment and increasing the military budget, the country is expected to register lower military budget growth rates, on par with historical numbers. In 2013, thegovernment increased its defense budget expenditure by 9.4% compared to the previous year, based on a planned equipment procurement program. The growth was triggered by the country’s need to invest in military equipment and devices based on new age cutting-edge technologies, replacing outdated equipment. However, in 2014 the people voted against the procurement of fighter jets from Sweden, which resulted in a decline in military expenditure. Moreover, the Ministry of Defence announced in 2014 that, following the vote, the army budget for 2015 will be slashed and this resulted in a decline by 7.1% in 2015. Consequently, military expenditure is forecast to increase steadily, to US$5.2 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 1.38%.
- Over the historic period, defense expenditure registered a decline of 0.96%, decreasing from US$5.1 billion in 2011 to US$4.9 billion in 2015
- Military expenditure, valued at US$5billion in 2016, is expected to increase to US$5.2billion by 2020, registering a CAGR of 1.38% over the forecast period
- Military expenditure will be driven by the procurement of better defense systems and participation in peace keeping and conflict resolution operations
- The Defense Ministry is expected to procure UAV’s, multi-role aircraft MRO, and cyber security
Strategic Defense Intelligence’s Swiss Defense Industry - Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Forecasts to 2020report offers detailed analysis with market size forecasts for 2016-2020. The factors that influence demand, key market trends, and challenges faced by industry participants are also covered.
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- Defense industry market size from 2016-2020, including highlights of the demand drivers and growth stimulators. A snapshot of the country’s expenditure and modernization patterns are provided
- Budget allocation and key challenges: insights into procurement schedules formulated within the country and a breakdown of the defense budget with respect to the army, navy, and air force. The key challenges faced by defense market participants within the country are also detailed
- Porter’s five forces analysis: study the market characteristics by determining the bargaining power of suppliers, buyers, threat of substitution, intensity of rivalry, and barriers to entry
- Import and export dynamics: review the prevalent trends in the country’s imports and exports over the last five years
- Market opportunities: identify the top five defense investment opportunities from 2015 to 2025
- Competitive landscape and strategic insights: including an overview of leading players, key alliances, strategic initiatives, and a brief financial analysis
Reasons To Buy
- Identify and track the global defense market and make regional comparisons to effectively target new revenue streams
- Understand the importance of being led by the defense ministries in the military procurement market and define your strategies with insight on what your customers really want by analyzing recent orders, technical specifications, and the country’s expected investment pattern during 2016-2020
- Make correct business decisions based on a detailed analysis of the industry from 2016-2020, which includes the total competitive landscape of the sector with detailed profiles of the top domestic and foreign defense manufacturers along with information about their products, alliances, recent contract wins, and financial analysis
- Determine prospective investment areas by gaining an in-depth understanding of the industry in terms of market opportunities
- Channelize resources by identifying various military requirements that are expected to generate revenues across different sectors during 2016-2020
Questions about this report?
P: +1 646 513 4192 (US)
P: +31 20 486 1286 (EU)