Social gaming has exploded during the last decade. Game-play and consumption patterns have dramatically changed during the last five years and we see similar big changes coming with the invasion of mobile platforms and in particular the emerging wearable platforms. While Facebook individually leads the social gaming market, collectively non-Facebook social gaming platforms collectively represent a considerable portion of the market. Non-Facebook platforms include app store, local social networks, and multiplayer social game networks. Collectively, the social gaming market will reach $18 billion by 2020 with a combined CAGR of 12.25%. By device platform, wearable social platform will rise sharply followed by mobile and PC platform during the study period of 2015 – 2020.
Wearable gaming hardware devices include gaming and gamification focused headwear, body wear, eyewear and smartwatches. Mind Commerce predicts 3.4 million unit sales globally in 2015 rising to 23.4 million by 2020. The cumulative unit sales will be 68.3 million during 2015 with 47.1% CAGR through 2020. Mind Commerce predicts that connected wearable device shipments will reach 170 million units by 2020 and market value will reach nearly $25 billion.
This research evaluates the companies, solutions, and market for online and mobile social gaming. The report analyzes company strategies, assesses gaming platforms including next generation via wearable technology, and provides a market outlook and forecasts through 2020. All purchases of Mind Commerce reports includes time with an expert analyst who will help you link key findings in the report to the business issues you're addressing. This needs to be used within three months of purchasing the report.
- Network operators
- Cloud service providers
- Social networking companies
- Wireless device manufacturers
- Digital entertainment companies
- Gaming distributors and aggregators
- Mobile and online gaming companies
- Investment Community:
- Asset Managers
- Financial Analysts
- Portfolio Managers
- Investment Bankers
- Investor Relations
- Private Equity
- Hedge Funds
- The market shall witness a steady reduction in the gaming hardware business through 2020
- Among platforms, mobile leads with highest market share of 55% in 2015 and will reach to 58% by 2020
- Successful companies will focus more on retention with diversified experiences rather than becoming a large gaming company
Other two platforms are PC and wearable, which currently hold 40% and 5% market share respectively and will be 30% and 12% by 2020
- Social networks will remain an appealing platform for gaming and will create a hard core social gaming group of high spending gaming “whales”
- Non-Facebook social gaming market is expected to have highest CAGR of 13.3% comparing its counterpart Facebook that will grow with 10.4% CAGR