The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The term serious game was coined by Clark Abt in the 1970s in his book “Serious Games”. It refers to various digital applications that are developed to impart learning through games. It includes games whose main purpose is not to entertain, but to educate and teach users and create awareness about a subject.
A key driving factor for the growth of the serious game market is the high return on investment (ROI). Besides, several other factors such as the increased need for user engagement across enterprises and consumer brands, growing usage of mobile-based educational games, and improved learning outcomes are also propelling the growth of the market. However, some of the restraining factors for the growth of the serious game market include improper game design, lack of awareness about serious games, and lack of assessment tools to measure serious game effectiveness. The increasing scale of digitization and emergence of social networks are some of the key challenges for the serious game market.
The serious game market report analyzes the market by vertical, application, platform, end user, and region. The serious game market has been segmented based on vertical into aerospace & defence, automotive, corporate, education, energy, government, healthcare, retail, media & advertising, and others. The application includes emergency services, human resources, marketing, product development, sales, training, and support. The platform covers hand-held, mobile-based, PC-based, and web-based platforms. The end-users include consumers and enterprises.
The report also provides the geographic view for the major regions including North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific (APAC), and the Rest of the World (RoW). In this report, the market drivers, restraints, and opportunities have been covered and are described briefly along with their impact on the serious game market. North America is the largest market for serious games; however, APAC is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR between 2015 and 2020. The key players in the market include IBM Corp. (U.S.), Cisco Systems Inc. (U.S.), Microsoft Corp. (U.S.), Nintendo Co. Ltd. (Japan), BreakAway Games (U.S.), and Serious Game International (U.K.) among others.
- The total market size in terms of value for the serious game market is expected to grow at an estimated CAGR of 16.38% between 2015 and 2020.
- This report includes the market statistics pertaining to vertical, application, platform, end user, and region along with their respective revenues.
- Porter’s Five Forces framework has been utilized along with the value chain analysis to provide an in-depth insight into the serious game market.
- Major market drivers, restraints, and opportunities for the serious game market have been detailed in this report.
- Illustrative segmentation, analysis, and forecast for the markets based on major vertical, application, platform, end user, and region has been conducted to give an overall view of the serious game market.
- The detailed competitive landscape includes key players, in-depth analysis, and revenue of the respective companies.